10.30.2006

Weekend Observations
You'll have to bear with me this Monday, my "weekend observations" are kind of hazy because I kept trying to drown my football sorrows and quite frankly, wasn't in the mood to observe much this weekend.

College football is such a fun and wonderful sport but it befuddles me (thanks Charlie Tuna) how the Vegas peeps can pick the spread for these games. Who would have thought that Virginia Tech would completely manhandle Clemson last Thursday night? Your Chica got a lot of smack from everyone I saw this past weekend because I picked Clemson to beat Va Tech but who would have thunk it???

Speaking of smack talkers, you know it's a down year for Miami when there is a bar full of Hurricane fans gathered and not one of them is talking shmack (this is a made up word)!

I know Larry Coker is a nice guy but after reading his post-game comments, I just want the guy gone! It's no wonder he can't motivate this team. Exhibit A: the field goal kicker doesn't know how to kick an onsides kick for pete's sake! I think my little dog Zoe (awww) could do a better job at it. La Chica is done on this subject!

The only cool thing about being at the Miami/Ga Tech game was the pre-game. Immediately after the national anthem was played, 2 fighter jets came roaring across the sky right over the stadium. It was AWESOME. La Chica got chills! This should be done for every game.

USC lost! That's pretty much all I need to say.

Ah, the BCS. As I've said since the year 2000 when my beloved team was screwed by the system after beating Florida State but yet the Criminoles jumped Miami in the BCS and got to play in the national championship game, eventually every team will get screwed by the BCS! Something's gonna happen again this year if a team like West Virginia goes undefeated but a team like Florida starts screaming because they're in the SEC. I'm just saying.

And why shouldn't a team like West Virginia go to the title game if they're undefeated? Don't forget, they beat a good UGA team in the Sugar Bowl earlier this year!

Here are the current BCS top 5 standings:
1. Ohio State .986
2. Michigan .969
3. West Virginia .786
4. Florida .779
5. Louisville .762

This is what I need explained, how can Florida jump Auburn when the Tigers beat the Gators? They're both in the SEC so it's not the conference strength. What a stupid system!

Here's the thing, if you look at the percentage differences between teams 1 and 2 and the rest of the teams, it's HUGE! Don't be surprised if the loser of the Ohio St/Michigan game still gets to play for a national championship! That's how jacked up this system is. Come to think of it, since La Chica has nothing to cheer for this season this makes me happy. Let the bitchin' begin!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

First, shouldn't "shmack" be spelled "schmack"?

Second, why is Florida ranked higher than Auburn after losing to Auburn? How about why is Arkansas ranked lower than Auburn after laying the wood to them AT Auburn?

Third, the West Virginia argument may be a moot point after Thursday night. People, especially the SEC fans, should just chill until the regular season is over. I went to Jax this weekend and, frankly, was totally unimpressed with Florida. Bad offensive playcalling and poor execution of those bad play calls. Finesse horizontal hand-offs to wide receivers in the backfield play after play are not going to beat anyone with a defense. Urban Meyer better wake up and start using a RB in the I-formation. Also, he better get a FG kicker. Mark it down, if they get to Glendale, they will lose on a missed FG.

As for UGAg, Stafford looks to have all the physical tools and appears to be very comfortable in the backfield. To date, though, it appears Texas landed the better QB out of the State of Texas. Also, UGAg might want to recruit a couple WR's and a TE who can catch a ball.

Have I missed something or has Tommy Tubberville been strangely quiet since getting rolled by Arkansas?

Anonymous said...

SC and Trigeek,

My answer to your BCS ranking questions:

FL lost to a highly ranked team.

Auburn lost AT HOME to an UNRANKED, 15 point underdog, ARK.

ARK. has a comparitively weak schedule, and got KILLED by USC.

I think that the BCS rankings are weighted comparing individual team schedules and other polls-- not strength of conference schedules.

BCS # 4 FL has had the toughest schedule, and played the most ranked teams thus far... si o no?

SportsChica said...

Trigeek,
I agree with you about the Arkansas question as well. Not only did they beat Auburn but beat them hard at home!

As for WVU, I think they beat Louisville and if they do and win out, they should have a shot at the national title. Unfortunately, their defense will not survive and that's too bad.

As for how Florida looked Saturday, I can't really comment on that as I was at the UM/GT game during that one BUT I will say this: IF YOUR KICKER CANNOT MAKE A FIELD GOAL, YOU'RE NOT GOING TO WIN A NATIONAL TITLE!!! And I'm willing to put money down on that one.

Devo, I understand your points as well but my question is this: if the reasoning is that FL lost to a highly ranked team, what about Arkansas beating a highly ranked team? Shouldn't that merit more??

It's all confusing but fun since I have no dog in the fight this year.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Finish the Drill's 89 year old dad is a better kicker than Florida's. U know if UGA had anyone that could catch the ball, they may have been a more competitive team this year. Oh yeah, and we could limit the turnovers to less than 5 a game...That being said.......

I was beyond delighted that Tim Tebow fumbled. Btw, I love the way CBS kept showing him on the sidelines saying "Will We see Tim Tebow soon" like divine intervention was going to occur..

And la Sportchica, pack your bags because UGA and Miami will play in the Pilsbury Turnover Bowl (courtesy of Finish the Drill but out of town) Why is Cal ranked above Tennessee? Tennessee only lost to FLA by 1 and Cal got completely schooled by Tenn

Go Dawgs:)

SportsChica said...

Trigeek,
"shmack" is a combination of "shit" and "smack", therefore no "c" is required.

Dawg,
I don't understand the media's new fascination with Cal. I agree that Tenn. should be ahead of them the way they put a beat down on the Bears but...the media has to have a PAC 10 darling. Wait until Cal beats USC! It will be like their love affair with Notre Dame.

Also, Miami is not going to a bowl game this year, you must have 6 wins to do that and I don't think that's going to happen.