10.09.2006

Weekend Observations
While watching sports over the weekend, a lot of random thoughts come into my head. Some of them are just plain wacky and I'm probably the only one who gets it, but maybe others do too so I post them. Here they are for this past weekend:

Mitch Mustain (Arkansas Razorbacks) - now that my friends, is a quarterback's name! I love it.

Have you guys seen the way the Auburn team comes out of the tunnel? They come out with their arms interlocked with the coach in the middle, does anyone else think this looks queer? Here are a bunch of big tough guys coming out to fight a "battle" and they come out arm in arm in a cloud of smoke. Um, I'm a chick and I think they look like sissy mama's boys!

And by the way, the "cloud of smoke" that almost every college team uses now to make an entrance was started where??? That's right, at the University of Miami! The 'Canes were the first college team to do it. Just an fyi in case you're asked during a trivia game.

Officiating is just horrible this season in college football. Even with the replays, these guys are making horrible calls. And I know they're just human but give me a break. During the LSU/Florida game, there were 2 blantantly bad calls against LSU. One of them was a phantom holding call that resulted in a touchdown being called back; the very next play, the Tigers fumbled the ball.

I'm not saying the call caused the fumble or was the reason LSU lost, but it did cost the Tigers the much needed 7 points. La Sportschica is very sensitive regarding poor officiating and bad calls (see Fiesta Bowl); I really feel that in college football it is doubly hard for a team to mentally and emotionally come back from these horrible injustices. I know I'm going to get a lot of smack about this but I don't care; I feel very strongly about this.

The next time you watch a South Carolina Gamecocks game, count how many times the game analysts say "Steve Spurrier". I had to flip the channel!

I have 2 things to say about the University of Georgia: 1) I love UGA (the dog)! I'm not a Dawg fan but by God, that is the best mascot in sports! God bless UGA (the dog). 2) If I have to hear one more time how Joe Tereshinski's father and grandfather played for Georgia, I may jump off a bridge during Atlanta rush hour traffic and everyone will suffer.

Speaking of 2nd and 3rd generation players, during the Carolina/Kentucky game, I noticed a player with this on the back of his jersey: Lyons Jr. Now this is my question, does his father currently play on the team? I mean is there a reason they have to specify that he is a "jr" on the back of his playing jersey? I'm just saying.

Peeuuuwww (spelling?), the Miami Dolphins stink!!! What is going on in South Florida? Also, what was going on with the Patriots home field? Somebody needs to fire the groundspeople because that field is horrible.

Lastly, on to baseball, kudos to the Detroit Tigers for beating the New York Yankees!!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Props to Mitch Mustain and that speed demon Darren McFadden for humbling those already whiny auburn tigers (why isn't the bcs taking us seriously? blah blah blah).

You know here is an obeservation. Holly Rowe knows her stuff and i think she is great analyst. Also a fabulous candidate for what not to wear....

UGA is the cutest mascot ever. I totally agree. Why does Phil Fulmer always look like he just left the all you can eat buffet at Ryans? Btw, they kicked our bootys (no offense john david) though and they won fair and square.

Btw way la Sportschia, I also love the name Early Doucet. Bet Early wishes he hadn't muffed that catch on the kick off though. :)

SportsChica said...

Auburn got caught looking ahead to Florida this week, I think.

The mark of a true championship team is not playing well and still beating a lesser opponent. And while I don't mind Auburn, Tuberville cut his own throat last week with his comments on the BCS!

It's only the middle of the season, Tommy so shut it!

Phil Fulmer is gonna have a grease induced heart attack if he doesn't cut back on the Tennesse bbq.

Doug E said...

Hola Sporty Chica I must say it was a satisfying weekend for this Gator. However, there's still a lot of football left to be played...like Auburn next Saturday. We have to be careful not to shoot ourselves in the foot.
Speaking of cool QB names, who knew Tim Tebow could throw the ball? The QB shuffle seems to have some momentum. I'd really like to see some momentum building with our kicker. And what's up with the penalties? We're the most penalized team in the SEC, we had 9 penalties in the first half, that can't be right?
Phil Fulmer looks like he's one slab of ribs away from a massive myocardial infarction.

SportsChica said...

Doug E,
Congrats on a great victory.

Yep, you guys need to improve on the number of penalties AND the kicker!! If I were Urban, I'd take that kid out back and the shit out of him. That's just me though.

As Verne Lundquist said (or maybe it was the other guy), it's tough to win a championship w/o a field goal.

Anonymous said...

GA played this weekend? I must have missed that game. :(

Anonymous said...

The smoke at the U was due to gun fire....look it up!

Damn you satan why couldn't you come to my rescue!

The great pumpkin rises high above the pumpkin patch to eat at Ryans on Sundays.

Off Topic kinda.... Does Bill Parcells need a bra or what?

SportsChica said...

Neal,
Regarding your "U" comment, give it a rest! It's an old joke. And why do you always have to throw the U under the bus?? What did they do to U?

Unfortunately for me, that U is no longer in existence. At least national championships were won with those U players.

SportsChica said...

And YES, Parcells needs some kind of "manzeere". That's just nasty.

Anonymous said...

Howdy Sportschica,
Yeah, that arm in arm thing started a few years back. I think it’s designed to show team strength and unity coming into a stadium. Now that I think about it, they could probably come up with something a little more masculine than locking arms…like running full blast to the center logo on the 50 and claiming the field…
I was tired of Spurrier last year. Apparently, every media outlet in the country wants to continue to give him credit for a good job 10 YEARS AGO. Looking at this from the “What have you done for me lately” department, Snyder couldn’t wait to get him the hell out of D.C. cuz he treated full grown, talented and well paid men like he did his college club – ask Rich Brooks and Bill Callahan how that worked out for them. ALSO, so far in his first 2 seasons he’s gone 11 – 7, including the victory over UK last weekend. 11 – 7? Not bad, but Lou Holtz did the same thing when he started at USC and don’t even get me started on Lou – He’s the only game analyst I know that needs to wear a bib when speaking. You can always tell which one is Lou at the announcer desk cuz he’s the one with a rusty mike.
Uga the mascot was the lone bright spot on the field for Georgia last week. What a roller coaster – Up by 17 before the half and then Tennessee rolls up 51? Geez, they scored 27 points in just the 4th quarter! Even though the UGA Special Teams had a kickoff and punt return for touchdowns, they still had how many blocked kicks? When was the last time Ely-Kelso EVER had a blocked kick? Mr. Drill is still working out the emotional strain from that one. Unfortunately Tereshinski may not be the answer as we look forward to Vandy and Miss State. Sportschica had a good suggestion in another posting about starting and sticking with one of those freshman and letting the cards fall where they may. Joe T can hold the ball on the kicking squad.
You ain’t kiddin’ about them ‘Canes. FSU as well after last week. Chuck Amato will be sticking his chest EVEN FURTHER OUT .
Did you hear Steinbrenner’s comments about his team this morning? He called them a “sad failure”. Ouchy. Is the dynasty in trouble? Is Joe Torre gone? Will they pay A-Rod the biggest salary in history again next year?
BTW, miss Chica, that’s a lovely photo of yourself on your front page. I forgot what a little freshy you are. You should post more.

Anonymous said...

Isn't Finish the Drill nice? Love the commnet about Lou Holtz and the bib...

SportsChica said...

It's painful to listen to Lou Holtz speak. And notice, the more he starts talking the more he sounds like Daffy Duck.

Finish the Drill is so nice. I wish all the posters were that nice (smile).