10.08.2007

Another Crazy Weekend

Before I go on to give my opinions on the past weekend, let me once again say this: This is not a gambling website, we don't give spreads or pick games based on spreads. If that was the case, then it wouldn't be a sports blog designed for the purpose of stating my opinion about games, players and current sports-related events. If you want spreads go to a betting website! Is that clear? Good.

Now then, what a great weekend of football. I must say, the Florida/LSU game did not disappoint your Chica. I thought Florida had them (I picked them). And for most of that game, the Gators did control LSU. However, the mark of a true champion is overcoming adversity and winning. LSU did that in the 4th quarter of that game. I'm not a Les Miles fan, but I admire a coach who goes for it 5 times on 4th down.

And then there was USC! Unfortunately, we didn't get this game on the East coast or at least not in the establishment where I watched the Saturday night games. I've become "friends" with some West coast boys who are USC fans and/or alumni for the most part and let me just say, you have never heard so much trash talk until you talk to a Trojan fan. Anyway, I and everyone else have been saying all season, USC has not looked sharp. The only ranked team they have played is Nebraska and they're not ranked anymore. Given that, it was only a matter of time before someone beat them. I must admit, I didn't think it would be an unranked sucky Stanford team!!! I think it's safe to say that Cal is the team to beat in the Pac 10 this year. Only time will tell.

Kudos to all of college football recognizing that October is breast cancer awareness month. A lot of game officials were wearing pink bracelets and even had pink whistles in recognition of this all too important month. Also, my boy, Kirk Herbstreit was sporting a pink bracelet on Gameday!

What happened to Georgia?? Or should I ask, what happened to Tennessee? Where was this Volunteer team during their game against Florida?

On a personal note, since it is my blog, you know I have to bring up the suckass performance by my "beloved" Hurricanes. As usual, Butch Davis had his team ready to play. And even though his team sucks and has less talent than Miami, they made the Canes look ridiculous in the first half of that game. Randy Shannon did not have Miami ready to play and this concerns me. At one point, Shannon looked like a chicken with his head cut off. I'm just sayin'. I knew this was going to be a "re-building" year but give me a freaking break! They needed to win this game because guess what, it's only going to get tougher. I honestly do not see the Canes winning anymore games this year! I hope I'm wrong.

Your Chica may be shopping for a new team because she doesn't know how much longer she can take this.

My prognostication skills are improving, I was 6 for 9 this weekend!

Ciao for now, freakitos.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watches the 2nd half of USC_stanford and it was fab Chica...I was going back and forth between that and lsu-fla. The great pumpkin rose up and ate the bulldogs on saturday...They obviously watched the UGA film and said "We can pass all day long on them"....And they did. Rocky Top is still ringing in my ears.

And Butch showed his former employer Chica....Clemson had their yearly choke. Tommy Bowden always lookse perplexed on th esidelines-maybe he can't figure out why he is still employed...And everyone needs to get over Notre Dame winning.

And finally-what is Nick Saban thinking talking aobut th eacademic standards at USF? This is from a dude at a school that almost got the death penalty. He is not at Harvard!!!!

SportsChica said...

Dive, I missed the USC game all together but it made me happy. Dude, Rocky Top never quit playing!

Butch certainly did show UM that maybe they should have hired him back, he showed interest but they didn't talk to him. I thought it was a mistake a year ago and now I'm certain.

Yes, and then there's Nick Saban, we all know what scholars he has at Alabama (insert sarcasm). I loathe him. For a short little man, he cetainly does talk a lot of smack.

Anonymous said...

SportyChica,
I feel bad for you; it's obvious you painfully cheer for your lousy Canes but it's been disappointing.

Hang in there. Every team goes through cycles such as these.

Anonymous said...

Do you think there will ever come a time when Americans will become intelligent enough to take a look back at history before getting inflamed about things such as how we're going to sort out five undefeated teams at year-end. Geeeeesch! Can everyone just settle down and realize that things always work out? Everyone had USC and LSU IN the BCS game. And everyone was, only five games in and plenty of football left to be played, going through their annual stress-out about how we were going to decide between five undefeated teams at the end of the regular season. Hell, Tony Barnhart just pulls out his column from each previous year and inserts different team names. Woe is us! Now USC has lost. OSU, regretably, will lose. LSU might even lose. South Florida? Hah! Just look at all the handringing over three undefeated Big East teams going into November last year (Hint, not one of them left November unscathed.). Just look at history, take a deep breathe, freekin' chill out and realize that everything will work out and we'll, once again, end up with the two most deserving teams on the field in New Orleans in early January. G'day.

SportsChica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SportsChica said...

Trigeek,
I agree with you for the most part. The powers that be are in a tizzy b/c the likelihood of USC and LSU in the BCS game are not so good right now but still possible.

I must say, I'm all for Cinderella but we all know none of these Big East teams would make it in a championship game against the likes of LSU. I'm not an SEC fan at all but LSU would destroy any of those Big East teams. So, while I enjoy the underdog story and feel USF is a good little team, I don't want to see them in my college football national championship game. We all know what would happen.

Anonymous said...

Not so fast my friend. Don't forget Boise State over OU last year. Or WVU over UGAg the year before. Or '92 when Alabama beat the unbeatable Mi........oops. Sorry. Or '87, when Penn State beat the unstoppable Mi........dang. Sorry. The moral of the story is, big upsets do happen. And when you have a heavy underdog playing the last game of the season with absolutely nothing to lose, bad things happen. Not always, but many times. After we beat Mi-shit-gan last November, SI's cover had a photo of Troy Smith which read, "Unstoppable". Well, we all know how unstoppable we turned out to be when up against a team that wasn't given any chance by the media. Never say never. I might be more afraid if I'm an LSU fan if they have to play South Florida than if they had to play USC. And LSU fans should remember the '02 (I think) SEC championship game when #1 ranked, and unstoppable, Tennessee was knocked off by lowly ranked LSU, and knocking UT out of the BCS championship game, in the presence of Chica. Upsets do happen. No one is safe.