1.05.2007

And Another Thing...

This post is going to be about 2 different subjects:

1) UGA the Bulldog and 2) The National Championship game

UGA the Bulldog
I was going to write this after I went to the Chick-fil-A Bowl but fell ill as you all know by now. And by the way, every time I go to the GA Dome, I catch some kind of sickness, I'm just sayin'. I know I'm going to be accused of being a Georgia Bulldog lover but I can't win with you guys regardless. Once again for the record: I am not a closet Bulldog fan nor am I a closet Gator fan. Moving on.

As I sat there in my seat watching the VA Tech CHokies start to choke against the GA Bulldogs, I kept searching for UGA (the Bulldog mascot). Now those of you who know me personally know that I a dog person (of the canine persuasion) all the way. So, it's no great surprise that even a SportsChica as myself would be searching the Dome for a dog instead of watching the actual game. And alas, I found him.

There he was on the field with his red jersey on greeting admirers and posing for photographs. It brought a silly smile to my face because what a wonderful life he leads. He's a celebrity in his own right, he had more attention focused on him than anyone else on the sidelines. Years ago, Sports Illustrated voted UGA the best mascot in all of sports and even if you hate Georgia, you must agree and if you still do not, go to a Georgia Bulldog game and follow UGA for a quarter. It will change your mind. Now, if I'm not mistaken this is UGA 6 and it's his last year as Georgia's mascot, he is 9 years old after all. God bless you UGA 6 and have a fabulous retirement!

National Championship Game
First off, why isn't this game being played on Friday or Saturday evening?

This game intrigues me because no one is giving Florida a shot. It reminds me of the 2003 Fiesta Bowl national title game between Miami and Ohio State when no one gave OSU a fighting chance. I'm not going to dwell on that game because you all know how I feel about it. However, my point is, do not discount Florida! They had a tough schedule this year and although most of their games were won by a slim margin, they still won. I think they're going to come to play and give the Buckeyes some trouble and possibly win.

I picked Ohio St in my bowl picks but I also picked Oklahoma to beat Boise State....rrrrright. So, needless to say, I'm a bit timid about picking the obvious. Plus, in my opinion, I don't feel that the Buckeyes played anyone except for Michigan. HOWEVER, as much as it pains me to say this, they are a complete package and look unstoppable. This is going to be a great game (I hope so) and I think a tight one but I still look for OSU to win. And please do not start accusing me of being a closet Buckeye fan!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

UGA rules. He is a rockstar.

Yep no one is giving the Gators any love. Now, personally UF makes me gag. And it wouldn't hurt my feelings if somebody didn't let little Timmy Teblow feel the fury. But I do like Chris Leak. And those Buckeye fans are soooooo SMUG. Yeech. I think Lou Holtz picked UF so that is a bad sign. But hey he picked UGA so maybe he is right every once in a while.... But he missed massively on ND

SportsChica said...

Dawgdiva,
Lou Holtz would pick ND regardless of who they were playing! He's not a very objective ESPN anaylyst. Shocker!

Every team has obnoxious and smug fans. I was minding my own business the other day when a Gator freak started giving me smack about Miami's bad season. I had to quickly remind him of the Ron Zook years at UF, how UF has not beaten UM since sometime in the 80s and of course, of their 1 national title compared to UM's 5.

As I said, every team has bad fans but this guy just started in your girl for no reason. Ugh and people accuse me of being a Gator lover, how dare they.

Anonymous said...

I'm personally rooting for the hydrogen bomb.