6.04.2007

And Then There's Gary Sheffield.......

I continue to be amazed at the stupidity of certain professional athletes. It's as if their careers are not getting enough attention so they must do or say something completely ridiculous and outrageous.

The latest one that I've read about is Gary Sheffield. For awhile now, there has been discussion about the lack of black major league baseball players. Of course everyone's first instinctive response is: What about the lack of white NBA players; why does no one raise a concern about that? That's a whole other blog entry entirely so let's move on.

Back to Sheffield's interview in GQ magazine, http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2891875, where he gives his theory on why hispanics make up the largest minority in baseball. I'll give you the gist: Black men demand respect and latino men don't! I guess Sheffield thinks us latinos are just happy to be here. Thanks for the brainless insight, Gary.

By the way, La Chica refuses to say "African-American" because I guarantee you Gary has not been to Africa nor have his parents or even grandparents. I'm just saying.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The truth has been around for a while now. The AA population shifted from Baseball to Basketball. I still see white kids playing at the park but there are very few black faces. (and I DO live where it is mostly black, BTW)

That is why there are not more pro baseball players that happen to be AA.

SportsChica said...

N,
I forgot to write this in the blog, frankly who cares why there are not more black kids playing baseball? Obviously, these kids choose to play other sports and there's nothing wrong with that. Baseball has been the past time sport of almost all latin countries for a very long time and it's not changing.