12.03.2007

BCS Rants

Just as predicted by your Chica and a lot of other peeps, Ohio State slinked their way into another national title game this year. It was pretty much handed to them this year. All West Virginia and Missouri had to do was win on Saturday and they were in. I'll cut Mizzou some slack because they played a worthy opponent but the Mountaineers??

Speaking of West Virginia, give me a freaking break! Rich Rodriguez, you're no big time coach yet. To choke and lose to a sucky Pitt team that way proves you still do not deserve to be talked about as a powerhouse national title contender.

Anyway, it would be easy to go ahead and pick LSU to beat OSU in the title game, but we're talking about Les Miles here. His coaching scares me and even though he has the better team, look out for his poor coaching decisions to botch this up.

And then there is the Rose Bowl: Why would you put Illinois in there to play USC? I know about the Big Ten/Pac 10 tradition in the Rose Bowl but hasn't the BCS done away with all tradition? How great would it had been to see Georgia play against USC in that game? Now, it's going to be a huge snorefest because USC will devour this Illini team.

One last thing, why is Kansas in the Orange Bowl and not Missouri? Who makes these decisions? Most of you do not know La Chica personally or have not known me for as long as the BCS system has been in place (1997), but about 7 years ago I said to a certain friend of mine that as long as the BCS system is in place, it will screw EVERY SINGLE TEAM. Wait and see. This year it screwed Missouri.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Honey, did you write this before you had coffee this morning?

Anonymous said...

A few intemperate thoughts...

UGA's going for another blackout game against the Warriors in Nawlins. That game might be closer than people think.

Pittsburgh went into the WVA game with a W-L of 4-7. Their Quarterback has 8 touchdown passes ALL YEAR, and almost twice as many interceptions (13). I guess giving Wannstedt a contract extension was a good idea. I don't think Rodriguez is ready for prime-time just yet.

I think Les Miles won't call any stupid plays in the BCS Championship. He's probably been told by a few well-placed alumni to coach a conservative game. I think he knows Dorsey will be healthy and so will Flynn. I think he will run Hester play after play to eat clock and keep those damn OSU receivers off the field.

The Illinois pick is interesting. I know they beat the #1 team in the country (at the time) but how can a 3-loss team make it to a BCS game when there are 2-loss teams ranked ABOVE THEM (i.e., Mizzou)?
Everybody sez it's tradition for the Rose Bowl to invite PAC10 vs BIG10, but I would love to watch Oklahoma and USC play in that one. You're right, Miss Chica, USC will roll on Zook.

If I'm Kansas, I'm happy. If I'm Missouri, I'm ready for a playoff system.

SportsChica said...

Sorry but I feel very strongly about my hatred of the BCS.

And it pisses me off to think of a West Virginia team that completely blew it on its own. Not to mention, all we've heard about for the last 3 years are Pat White, Steve Slaton and the Mountaineers and guess what, they're nothing but posers and chokers!! It makes me sick.

I'm getting pissy again.