11.12.2006

Weekend Observations
This past weekend was a typical college football weekend. Teams that were supposed to win, did not and there were "upsets" a plenty.

Let's start with the Louisville/Rutgers game, the Cardinals were supposed to win, right? As everyone knows, they didn't. Now what? Should Rutgers be number 3 in the BCS? La Chica thinks no. Their story this year is great but they're not a number 3 BCS team!

Unranked Georgia went into Auburn and beat the living tar out of the Tigers. Hey, it's the South, a Chica can say "tar". Any given Saturday, a bad team can beat a good team and that's why we love this game.

Staying with the SEC, what about Arkansas??? I wasn't giving them a lot of love until last week. This is a good Razorback team that beat Auburn AND Tennessee convincingly. They deserve to be right up there with talks about a national championship appearance should they win out.

And now for the BCS standings this week:
1) Ohio State .976
2) Michigan .973
3) USC .869
4) Florida .849
5) Notre Dame .819

How in the world did Notre Dame go from number 9 to number 5 in one week? Oh right, by beating an unranked Air Force team, I understand now (insert sarcasm here). Also, how did USC jump Florida into the number 3 spot? If anyone deserves to jump Florida this week, it would be Arkansas. Hell, even Rutgers is more deserving since they're undefeated. This systems SUCKS!

Speaking of sucking, La Sportschica's pet peeve list is long and one day we'll get to it here but for now let's just discuss one of the items on the list. Pet Peeve # 17: Fans rushing the field after an upset or a big win, especially before the game is even over. One of my posters (BKing) reminded me of this and made a great point: it's always a second tier team's fans who do this. To those people, La Chica says this, we know you haven't been there before but for God's sake, act like it.

Lastly, during Florida State's game Saturday night, the Seminole players wore a #95 on their helmets in honor of the Miami player, Bryan Pata, who was killed last week. Anyone who knows me knows of my unmitigated dislike for FSU, however, I must admit I gained a bit more respect somewhere in the pit of my soul for those mangey Seminoles. Well done.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

USC got to #3 ahead of UF by a slim BCS margin - .869 to .849. That’s history working in USC's favor. USC still has #17Cal and #6Notre Dame PLUS UCLA before the end of the season. UF has Western Carolina (The fightin’ Catamounts!) and FSU. Also UF hasn’t exactly won convincingly over the previous 2 weeks. Who stays at #3 if both win out?

Wow! How good is the Big East? Louisville beats WVA then Rutgers beats Louisville! I say send them Scarlet Knights tO A BSC Bowl! A Ga. Tech–Rutgers Orange Bowl? Sounds great.

UGA bitch-slaps the War Eagles.
A fluke?
Yeah, probably.
Am I feeling better about this year?
Not really.
Do I think UGA-Tech is gonna be a good game?
YER DAMN SKIPPY I DO!

Arkansas and Florida for the SEC title game? I’d love to see it.

Notre Dame moving up 5 spots for beating Army? Ummm…, yeah. I know Texas, Auburn and WVA lost but, 5 SPOTS? Let’s beat the rush and start hating ND now. I'll start - Q: Why do they make the ND cheerleaders leave the field after the game? A: To keep them from over-grazing.

Anonymous said...

Oops! I stand corrected. As far as USC/FL goes, I meant to say 'Who plays for the Nat'l Championship if both win out?' This also considers the 'rines fall out of contention if they lose to OSU.

Anonymous said...

Drill, they are big boned that is all. Have you seen Brady's sister? Looks like the back of my dogs nuts, well if he still had them.

Meanwhile I can't wait till this weekend and see how this Mich vs OSU plays out. I bet it will be a blow out and not live up to the hype but the question is which team will hand out the beat down and who will be the bitch?

Off Topic: The Bears handed out thier own beatdown after being flipper slapped last weekend. I would like to see a Bears vs Indy game soon.

SportsChica said...

Finish the Drill and Neal, you guys crack me up!

I think that Rutgers most certainly deserves to play in a BCS game if they win out and win the Big East. However, I do not feel they deserve to be in the national championship game and that's what I meant.

My hope is that Cal beats USC and then USC beats ND. I'd like to see UF vs Arkansas in the SEC game. Then I would like to see Wake vs GT in the ACC game.

Will OSU/Michigan be worth the hype? History says no. Almost every game that is hyped up this much disapoints but hopefully not this time around. Although, it would be fantastic to see those MFers from ESPN wrong and destroyed by a boring ass game.

I HATE NOTRE DAME!

Anonymous said...

LaSpota, who said ND would move up and would be considered for the National Championship last week?

Who said it? Who I ask.