5.02.2007

Big Hats and Roses

This Saturday is the first race of the Triple Crown with the Kentucky Derby and I can't wait. La Chica's plans to be at the Derby this year failed but fret not because next year, I will be there (God willing). Forced to wait another year to wear a big hat, I am left to watch it on television yet again.

I must say I am fascinated by the Triple Crown and the Derby intrigues me the most. The pageantry and history alone are worth watching but the best part for me are the horses. These animals are stunningly beautiful and watching them run takes my breath away......just sayin'!

The field this year is 20 and surprisingly there is not a horse that has caught my eye or attention, yet. Personally, I think it's going to be a while before another Barbaro steals everyone's heart again. Having said that, check out this link about one of the horses racing this year. His name is Storm in May: http://sports.yahoo.com/rah/news?slug=ap-kentuckyderby-blind-horse&prov=ap&type=lgns Storm in May is completely blind in his right eye, amazing.

So, this Saturday at about 6:20 pm EST, take time from drinking your pathetic hearts out for a faux Mexican holiday and watch the "most exciting 2 minutes in sports". I know I will be watching and praying that no one breaks a leg!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Little guys on the back of inbreed horses beating them with sticks...awesome fun....enjoy your little fun...Maybe some of the loosers will end up in French Resturants.

SportsChica said...

"Me",

These horses are bred to run. This is all I'm saying on this subject.

Anonymous said...

So are greyhounds.....

Do you watch greyhound races?

SportsChica said...

Nope

SportsChica said...

If you people are seriously comparing horse racing, and especially in the Kentucky Derby, to animal abuse...then I've underestimated the intelligence of the people who read my blog.

Anonymous said...

Endangered Panda Racing,

Now would that be something to watch?

Jockeys {read midgets} on the backs of black and white bears beating them with sticks to cross the finishline first.....

The first responce in an opposing opinion is to call them stupid.

SportsChica said...

Neal,
Hunh?

Sorry but I don't understand your post.

Anonymous said...

Hi la Chica!

La diva knows these horses are bred for racing but she just cant get down with any animal racing of sorts. I am always afraid someone is going to get hurt. But she agrees pageantry and big hats are funny. Also watching the gathering of celebrities such Kid Rock and Star Joes makes for a high level of entertainment.

Where is college football?