8.28.2006

Remember When.....
...MTV played music videos, and not on cable channel 451 but the real MTV channel? Don't get me wrong, I love a reality show as much as the next girl but every now and then it would be nice to see some old fashioned music videos back on MTV, right? Well, it's the same thing with ESPN!

Remember when the folks on ESPN talked solely about football, baseball, basketball, tennis, etc.? Nowadays, I have to hear about how Joe College Football came from meager beginnings and clawed his way into the University of (fill in the blank) while his mom worked 14 jobs just so he could play football while his little brother had a paper route, ran a lemonade stand and sold blizzards at the local Dairy Queen. Geeeez.

I know I can flip the channel but give me a break, I'm still a chick. I'll reluctantly start watching the story and end up in tears clutching anything I can get my hands on and asking "Why God, why?"

Here's the thing, I don't need that on Saturday mornings while I'm watching College Gameday. I want to see the goods. I want to know Lee Corso's crazy picks, I want to hear Kirk Herbstreit picking Miami to win it all (Was Kirk on crack during the Gameday Preview?) and Chris Fowler defending his Colorado Buffaloes even though they're gonna suck again this year! If you want to hear about a college football tragedy, how about the University of Tennessee Volunteer who's name is Jim Bob Cooter. See for yourself: http://utsports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/tenn-m-footbl-mtt.html As we say in the south, bless his heart!

And before peeps start thinking I'm cold and devoid of feeling; that's not the case at all. Okay, maybe just a smidgen. Nevertheless, I'm glad these kids get scholarships and have a chance to get an education but I don't need to hear about where they came from on Saturdays in the fall from 10:30 AM - noon. 'Nuff said!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you! Show me highlights if you need filler.

I don't care how the defensive tackle's mother was killed in a drive by. All I want to see is how that "Meat Sheild" takes people out!

But I am a heartless bastard afterall.

Anonymous said...

Football is on Saturday?

Anonymous said...

It's all about the ratings folks... These days more people want the inside story as it brings them closer to the individuals they see on the tube.

The extra drama provided by these stories add a little something to everything though which is what attracts more people to watch.

There are a lot of personal stories about the Canes to, but instead of on ESPN these stories are on Court TV... JK

Anonymous said...

You seem to be a passionate and knowledgeable Miami fan. Given your football knowledge, what would you credit as the reason why Miami lost the '03 Fiesta Bowl to a heavy underdog, Ohio State? Do you believe A, Ohio State outplayed Miami, B, Jim Tressel outcoached Larry Coker, C, the Miami players were dreaming of South Beach or, D, all of the above?

I am looking forward to your analysis of this question and to reading your future comments throughout the '06 football campaign.

Anonymous said...

Six days until UM - FSWho? When do we get a prediction from the SportsChica? It's time for Miami to send Dad Gum Bow-done off into the sunset.

Anonymous said...

After further thought, you might revise your College Football Saturdays mantra to include, "If you schedule your wedding on a Saturday in the fall, then this site is not for you. In fact, don't bother sending an invitation either. We won't be there."

Anonymous said...

You seem to be a passionate and knowledgeable Miami fan. Given your football knowledge, what would you credit as the reason why Miami lost the '03 Fiesta Bowl to a heavy underdog, Ohio State? Do you believe A, Ohio State outplayed Miami, B, Jim Tressel outcoached Larry Coker, C, the Miami players were dreaming of South Beach or, D, all of the above?

Yes please do talk about a single game 3 years ago. That is definatly a must read topic, while you are at it can you please tell me the following things that I MUST know.

A. In 1999 who won in baseball on August 8th
B. 1962 who was the NHL champs
C. 2000 who advanced to the second round of the US Open

People that live in the past annoy me. Lets stick with this year and if you want to go back to last year then OK but damn lets not talk about 3,4, or 5 years ago because the only people that care are looooooosers