9.03.2009

It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year....

Hola Football Freaks! Wow, is it just me or does it seem like the college football season ended 12 years ago? It's agony for those of us who love our sport but alas, we are at the inception of another glorious football season.

By the by, your sportschica is working on a brand new website (well actually, my dear friend Mindy P-A-R-K-E-R is working on it for me) that should be ready in the next few days. Be on the lookout for it and I will also obnoxiously notify you as well. With that said, let's get it going.....welcome to the most wonderful time of the year.

As usual, the first weekend brings with it a lot of boring lopsided games, however, there are a few that should be fun and interesting to watch and here they are:

Thursday
#16 Oregon vs #14 Boise State - Yes, la Chica is adding a Pac 10 vs WAC game in the first weekend; it's the first day of the season, officially, so what the heck. This game should be packed with a lot of offense and you know that's the way I like it. Pick: Oregon

Saturday
#13 Georgia vs #9 Oklahoma St - Kudos to UGA for having notable non-conference games 2 years in a row now and for also traveling outside of the southeast again! It's too bad the rest of the SEC doesn't do this...i.e. Florida! Go ahead, send your hate comments. Pick: For me this is a tough pick but I will go with the home team and pick OSU.

Charleston Southern vs #1 Florida - JUST KIDDING! Everyone knows what will happen here.

#20 BYU vs #3 Oklahoma - Some people are saying the Sooners will not even cover the spread (21.5) which by the way, is important for me due to my pool that I've joined again this season. More on that in a later post. Pick: OU (I would love an upset though!)

#5 Alabama vs #7 Virginia Tech - This game is in Atlanta on Saturday night so for those of you in the area, check it out. My favorite group, Collective Soul, is doing a free concert in Centennial Olympic Park afterwards. This game could go either way as well, Bama has lost a lot of players from last year's team including their hottie QB, John Parker Wilson. On the flip side, VT's main running back Darrell Evans is out so.....what's a Chica to do??? Pick: VT (for my ACC friends)

#8 Ole Miss vs Memphis - This game is on here this week not because I am interested but because Ole Miss is ranked #8, FREAKS! My buddy Pete is a huge Rebels fan so this is for you dude. I hope your team does well this year; they've sucked for a thousand years so let's give them a break, right? Pick: Ole Miss

Monday
Miami vs #18 FSU - Um, for those of you who read my blog last year (thank you!), my sentiments are pretty much going to be the same this year.....lots of prayers going out to my fellow Cane peeps. Dear Lord, just help us get through this season without losing our DAMN MINDS! The Canes' schedule is brutal and if they can go 2-2 to start the season, la Chica will do just about anything for celebration (keeping it PG freaks). Pick: This is a rivalry game so anything can happen but I am a realist and will therefore choose FSU.

That completes the picks for this week. My format will change next week as I go back to picking based on the spread for my pool; it's fun and you know it. Have a great holiday weekend freakitos and God bless college football.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So...what's the infield fly rule? :-)

Very entertaining MC! I'm going to watch a little bit more football this year b/c of you! Trust me, that won't have to be much. LOL!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you're back on track, but why am I not getting your blog emailed? Oh yeah, and GO CANES!!!!!!

SportsChica said...

MH, you will love college football by the time I am done with you this season. Just go watch a game with me one Saturday and you'll be hooked.

Wendy, I left you a message on your FB page.